Why a Fishbowl?

     In the fall of 2011 I began my teaching journey when I started my Bachelor of Education (After Degree) at a small rural university in Manitoba, Canada. While social studies was my primary teachable (and still my subject-area of choice) I immediately became fascinated with technology and the implications it could have on education.

     As part of my new years resolution for 2012 I began blogging at Miss L's Whole Brain Teaching as a means of exploring different educational tech tools, growing my own PLN, and learning more about specific teaching methods. I never imagined what a positive experience I would have as a result of this first blog. I was able to:

- reflect on my learning through my courses and PD sessions
- grow my PLN and connect with amazing educators from around the world
- build a running record of my experiences
- learn about different teaching methods/practices
  (both from a theoretical and personal standpoint)
- share my experiences & thoughts with a global network
- find opportunities off-line to connect with other educators and present at
  a variety of different venues
- and so much more!
     
teaching in a fishbowl
My very first blog post ever!

     Fast forward almost 4 years (and 470+ blog posts) and I have graduated and been employed at "S-School" since the fall of 2013. I have continued to immerse myself in the world of ed tech and, in addition to utilizing tech regularly in my teaching methods, I have introduced my students to the world of blogging, started a Tech Club at our school, and began pursuing a Master's Degree with a hopes of focusing on the purposeful implementation of technology to expand curricular objectives.

     While my original blog served as a perfect starter platform for this journey, I felt it was time to move over to a more long-term location that reflected my future as an educator. I wanted something that was more professional looking/feeling and something that could grow with me for many years to come. I plan to keep my original blog published but have also imported in all of my original posts to this new location as well; although new content will only appear here.

So Why a Fishbowl?

     Teaching, in general, is a practice that I believe needs to be transparent and educators should be sharing information beyond the classroom walls with other students, parents, families, collegues, etc. When a teacher chooses to share information online, their audience is expanded exponentially and it is as if they are in a fishbowl where the whole world can look in on them. Since I know that I want to continue to explore the role of technology in education I feel that "Teaching in a Fishbowl" was a title that would match my educational experience for the foreseeable future. I've actually written an article about this topic under the same title, check it out at: Teaching in a Fishbowl - What Can Happen When Teachers Are Online.

______________________________________________________

If you are a blogger, how did you come up with the title for your blog?
I want to hear your background story; please comment below!