Blogging 101 - My Session at MTS Awakening Possiblities

If you missed my reflection on the MTS Awakening Possiblities Conference, check it out here

     Always wanted to blog with your students but were unsure about how to get started? Did you get started by could not determine how to maintain the blog throughout the year? This session shares an educator's experiences as she introduces blogging to her students for the first time. Topics such as project implementation, purposeful use, and assessment integration will be discussed. Challenges and successes of the project will also be shared.
Blogging 101, Kirsten Thompson
I am very excited I had a "speaker" name tag!
Blogging 101, Kirsten Thompson
All excited, showing off my session poster!
Thanks to John Evans for the photo :)
     My session took place Thursday morning before lunch and I was so happy with how many people were in attendance! Compared to previous presentations that I had done, this was easily the biggest audience with well over 5x the attendees than I had seen previously, yay!

     I started off by having everyone get into groups based on their teaching level: Elementary, Junior High, High School (I also had several admin who picked a group based on their interests). Using Padlet/Wallwisher, I asked those in attendance to discuss in their groups and share why they would want to blog or how they want to use blogging. See their awesome responses below!


Created with Padlet
     My session was divided into four main sections:
1 ) Why Blog?

2 ) Blogging Platforms
- How do you want your blog to function?

3 ) Parental/Guardian Consent
- Matching your divisional/school guidelines

4 ) I Got A Blog, Now What?
- Author system
- Expectations
- Implementing a blog into class time
- PLN

   
    I'm actually considering building upon this session and creating a series of videos or podcasts on each of these sections in more detail. What are your thoughts? Is this something that would be helpful?

     Leave any blogging questions below!

Labels: , ,